Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Intelligent Design... Access Denied.

I just wanted to briefly mention my grief of the prevention of intelligent design being taught in any school system; Christian and non-Christian. It seems the i.d. community is obviously being bullied by atheists and evolutionists. I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking on how I have found story after story of people being denied the right to learn just as much about intelligent design as any other deeply researched science.
Something in me is really breaking and taken aback by the lack of respect from the percentage of the scientific community opposing i.d. Science is science. I'm upset because the system has been made to where if anyone stands in favor of i.d. in the name of science and science alone, they are cast down and disregarded.
For goodness sake, if someone wants to say that God is the Author of science than fine. If research leads to that or to an intellegent designer then how is that any sweat off the back of a non-believer - because science is still science! What if science points to aliens and ufo's? Everyone has a preconcieved notion but the beauty of science is that it reveals its own story. You never know for sure what you will find!

I must say - the future of this bullying looks very nasty. The sad part is that Christians who desire to learn about intelligent design are limited in what they can learn because it is not allowed to be taught. Yet we are taught our entire educational lives to believe in something that more and more scientists are beginning to doubt (yet this statement is quite debatable by evolutionists).

God my heart is heavy on this topic.

I want to learn both perspectives. I want to know why everytime I look in my anatomy book and my pathology book, I see an intelligent design. I see an intention within the genes, the brain, the entire body. And not just the human body... all species! I see intention within the seasons and structure of the universe. I can not live in this wonderful world and never say that nature, people (faults and all) are not absolute works of art. The big bang, the gaps - all the evo talk with no fossil records to prove any of it... To say that we are constant works of finite chance when science points to so much purpose is questionable. Just as well is the thought of God saying let there be light... and there it was. It sounds crazy from both angles and both outlooks are worth investigation.

It is obvious to me that many evos and atheists see intelligent design as not even worthy of being respectfully studied (by all who choose) because they think that it's research is out of a religious plot. When instead many scientists and non-scientists alike, have come to believe in God or a "higher power" because of the overwhelming evidence of there being an intelligent designer. 

I grew up being taught that science was the freedom to study everything I questioned and an invitation to learn it all if I so desired. I desire to study intelligent design yet if an instructor even comes near to encouraging the topic, he risks losing his career unless he follows directions otherwise. Where is the freedom in that. We can be taught (practically as a truth) in schools that our ancestors are apes, and the teachers are praised. But to present an alternate theory that maybe we were not pointlessly placed in this world, is treated as ignorant and is mocked. We have been taught to think that i.d. puts limits on science. But really it appears to me that evolution already claims to have everything mapped out and is simply hoping to be able to fill in its blanks.

I remember watching Expelled by Ben Stein and thinking he was probably just focusing on extreme cases of blacklisting within the scientific community in regard to those looking into i.d. Surely it wasn't that serious of an issue. Why would anyone want to keep people from exploring various options unless they (supposedly a scientific authority) wanted to control what people think?

How does one question something scientific without being given the opportunity to study multiple theories and scientific scenarios? What are my options as an average young lady who enjoys science and seeks to know more in both directions. Sure. I research online. I read books. I question atheists and Christians to gain perspective. But no matter what I do - no matter what I learn, unless I am able to get a respectable piece of paper of higher learning on my wall, then any positive opinion on i.d. that I would possibly gain may still fall short of consideration and more than likely be mocked. The many respectable scientists who believe in i.d. have eyebrows raised toward them. Why would I expect anything different.

Where is my scientific freedom if what I would like to explore is denied me? I don't mind the ridicule. But let me seek in a professional and respected atmosphere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At one point in time the scientific community believed that the world was flat. Those who believed otherwise were treated as outcasts. Science is based on creating a hypothesis doing research and gathering data on whatever said hypothesis may be. Then having the scientific community review your data and having your hypothesis be accepted as a theory. The subject matter taught in schools is also based on these same principals. When a group of individuals does not fully understand what is happening within their own galaxy, or their own brain for that matter, comes to an agreement on a said subject it does not make it fact. I personally believe in both creation and evolution but believe that evolution was created divinely. Energy cannot be created or destroyed so the fact that energy exists in my mind based on our science proves divinity. Scientist may argue that the energy created in the big bang has always existed. But the fact of the matter is that the scientific community can not prove that scenario and is not equiped to do any testing on it. When it comes down to it I feel faith should be taught in schools as a subject. and science should be redefined as intelligent observation.

Essence Neal said...

I agree.
My take is that God uses science. That science is God's work in action - what He set into play.
Thank you for your comment.

Anonymous said...

I agree, that is exactly what I was saying.